West Virginia Paycheck Calculator
Calculate your take home pay after federal & West Virginia taxes
Last updated on Jul 20 2021
Calculation not correct? Request new features?
Paycheck calculators by state
West Virginia state income tax
- the income tax rate ranges from 3% to 6.5%
- no state-level payroll tax
- able to claim state-level exemptions
- no additional state-level tax credits
West Virginia fiscal year starts from July 01 the year before to June 30 the current year. So the fiscal year 2021 will start from July 01 2020 to June 30 2021.
Calculating your West Virginia state income tax is similar to the steps we listed on our Federal paycheck calculator:
- figure out your filing status
- work out your adjusted gross income [Total annual income – Adjustments = Adjusted gross income]
- calculate your taxable income [Adjusted gross income – (Post-tax deductions + Exemptions) = Taxable income]
- understand your tax liability [Taxable income × Tax rate = Tax liability]
- determine whether your tax liability is more than your tax credits and withheld
- Tax liability – (Credits + Withheld) = What you owe or
- (Credits + Withheld) – Tax liability = Tax refunds
State payroll tax
There is no state-level payroll tax.
Income tax brackets
Each filer type has different progressive tax rates. Refer to Tax Foundation for more details.
|Fiscal year||Filing status||Taxable income||Rate|
Married, Filing Jointly or Widow(er)
Head of Household
|$0 – $10,000||3.00%|
|$10,000 – $25,000||4.00%|
|$25,000 – $40,000||4.50%|
|$40,000 – $60,000||6.00%|
|Married, Filing Separately||$0 – $5,000||3.00%|
|$5,000 – $12,500||4.00%|
|$12,500 – $20,000||4.50%|
|$20,000 – $30,000||6.00%|
There is no state-level standard deductions.
There is state-level exemptions for all type of filers and dependents. Refer to Tax Foundation for more details.
|Fiscal year||Filing status||Personal exemption amount|
Married, Filing Separately
Head of Household
|Married, Filing Jointly or Widow(er)||$4,000|
Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
There is no state-level EITC.
Child Tax Credit (CTC)
There is no state-level CTC.
What taxes do West Virginian pay?
The state-level income tax rate ranges from 3% to 6.5%. There is no additional payroll tax.
How much do you make after taxes in West Virginia?
For a single filer with an annual wage of $44,000, the take home pay is $35,364.
The take home pay for a married couple with a combined income of $88,000 is $69,783.