West Virginia Paycheck Calculator
Calculate your take home pay after federal & West Virginia taxes
Updated for 2022 tax year on Aug 02 2022
Paycheck calculators by state
West Virginia state income tax
West Virginia has a population of over 1 million (2019) and is known for scenic mountain beauty and limitless outdoor recreation opportunities. The median household income is $43,469 (2017).
- the income tax rate ranges from 3% to 6.5%
- no state-level payroll tax
- able to claim state-level exemptions
West Virginia tax year starts from July 01 the year before to June 30 the current year. So the tax year 2022 will start from July 01 2021 to June 30 2022.
Calculating your West Virginia state income tax is similar to the steps we listed on our Federal paycheck calculator:
- figure out your filing status
- work out your adjusted gross income [Total annual income – Adjustments = Adjusted gross income]
- calculate your taxable income [Adjusted gross income – (Post-tax deductions + Exemptions) = Taxable income]
- understand your tax liability [Taxable income × Tax rate = Tax liability]
- minus any additional tax withholdings [Total annual income – (Tax liability + All deductions + Withholdings) = Your annual paycheck]
State payroll tax
There is no state-level payroll tax.
Income tax brackets
Each filer type has different progressive tax rates. Refer to Tax Foundation for more details.
|Tax year||Filing status||Taxable income||Rate|
Married, Filing Jointly or Widow(er)
Head of Household
|$0 – $10,000||3.00%|
|$10,000 – $25,000||4.00%|
|$25,000 – $40,000||4.50%|
|$40,000 – $60,000||6.00%|
|Married, Filing Separately||$0 – $5,000||3.00%|
|$5,000 – $12,500||4.00%|
|$12,500 – $20,000||4.50%|
|$20,000 – $30,000||6.00%|
There is no state-level standard deductions.
There is state-level exemptions for all type of filers and dependents. Refer to Tax Foundation for more details.
|Tax year||Filing status||Personal exemption amount|
Married, Filing Separately
Head of Household
|Married, Filing Jointly or Widow(er)||$4,000|
What taxes do West Virginian pay?
The state-level income tax rate ranges from 3% to 6.5%. There is no additional payroll tax.
How much do you make after taxes in West Virginia?
For a single filer with an annual wage of $44,000, the take home pay is $35,418.50.
The take home pay for a married couple with a combined income of $88,000 is $69,892.